HbA1c - Diabetes Test
Diabetes is a lifelong condition that causes a person's blood sugar level to become too high. There are an estimated 590,000 people who have diabetes in the UK, but don’t know it. HbA1c test indicates your blood glucose levels for the previous two to three months.
Who this test is for?
- To monitor blood glucose control in patients already known to have diabetes,
- HbA1c can also be used to diagnose type 2 diabetes in people who were not previously known to have the condition.
The common symptoms of diabetes?
- Pee more than usual, particularly at night.
- Feel thirsty.
- Feeling more tired than usual.
- Losing weight without trying to.
- Genital itching or thrush.
- Blurred vision.
What is being measured?
- The combination of glucose and haemoglobin (HbA1c).
- No fasting or preparation required.
- 2-3 working days after receipt of sample.